Thursday, December 4, 2008

First day as Mommy and Daddy






Today was our first day with Malachi as his Mommy and Daddy. We went to see him at 10am as usual. He really didn't seem himself today, I don't know what was wrong, maybe he's getting a cold, or he's tired or just Mr. Grumpy today :). He was definitely sweet today, he was content just being held and hugged for quite a while. He is definitely getting more comfortable with us, and his crying when we first get there is almost a thing of the past. It's almost just a fake cry now.
After our morning visit we had to stop by the ATM to get some Rubles. Apparently our money is no good here and sometimes they dont like to take credit cards. We decided it would be 'fun' to walk home from the ATM, something i could do without repeating for the rest of my life. I think it was around -15 and it was 3-4 blocks, but i think i felt my eyeballs literally freezing. My nose was cracking inside from freezing and my face was being more frost bitten by the second. Good times huh? I told Barbara that I will never use the phrase "I'm Freezing" the same way when we get back home. I seriously do not know how these crazy Siberians live here. Just think, about 15 degrees cooler then your freezer...I think thats too cold. One good thing is, I wanted iced tea and we had tea bags but no ice, I just set my cup of boiling hot tea on the windowsill next to the open window for about 10 mins and it was just about frozen.
After we thawed off we went back to see our boy again at about 4pm. We got to see him interact with another boy in the room we normally play in. At one point the other little boy got a hold of one of Malachi's toys we bring (a car) and Malachi wasn't too sure he liked that, but he let him play with it. At one point, when the car got a little ways away from the other boy, Malachi picked it up and brought it over to him. He is good at sharing, but he doesn't like it. He gave the boy the car then stood there, looking somewhat dejected, playing with his fingers until I went over and picked him up. We brought our portable dvd player tonight in case we needed something new. We didn't need it but I did bring it out at one point. With all the toys and things around it didn't keep his attention very long but I think he will like it when there is not so much commotion. We said our goodbyes 'Pa-ca', got nice hugs from Malachi, (he gives us these hugs where he squeezes our neck, it the best:)) and headed home.
I made a special dinner tonight, shrimp and noodles in a savory broth with peas, corn and carrots. Ok maybe it was a "Cup Noodles", but I think you were almost jealous for a sec, weren't you...? I ended the night buying a new card for the internet because mine finally ran out. 150 Rubles lasted our entire first trip and the first 4 days of our second.. not bad for about 6 bucks. I think that turns out to be less then what my internet costs at home.
The pictures are from the last two days.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you! Looking forward to your return.

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Mom and Dad! We are so excited for you both! We love you guys! Mariah and Shaun

    ReplyDelete